Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The Beautiful People

Sometimes, I hate how I look. 

My nose is too big
My chin is too pointy
My profile looks like a cave man
My hair is a constant battle of frizz
My hips constantly declare war on my pants

I have had the same issues with myself since I became aware of how I looked. Too much of my life has been spent wishing I had straight hair or thin, long legs or full lips. Media tells me I should be comfortable with how I look but they still have stylists to make things look better and they airbrush already thin and lovely looking women. 

So what is it? I should be comfortable...but still try to emulate what I see in magazines or on television?
Those people are paid big bucks to look that way and they have countless resources at their disposal. If it were easy, everyone would be a model.

Charlize Theron was PRAISED for looking less attractive for the movie "Monster" when in reality she was made to look that way so she looked more like the person the movie was based on. It's okay to "play" unattractive but it's not okay to "be" unattractive. (Related: Charlize IS gorgeous)

This is not what I want my world to be. I have a younger cousin who bleached her hair, wears heavy makeup and fake eyelashes, all before she can even drive. For what purpose? We, as a society, say it all the time: We need to raise better kids. Yes, we do. However, we also need parents who aren't caught up in societal standards just as much as their children are. And we need to raise kids who value respect and hard-work instead of looking pretty and trying to become "Vine Famous" or some other equally ridiculous celebrity status. Do something good to garner the right kind of attention, there, kiddies. 

I had a terrible hair day. Total junk. It didn't cooperate, as per usual. I looked in the mirror this afternoon and thought, "Ugh! This Damn Hair" and threw it up in a ponytail, again, as per usual. But you know what else I did today? I motivated women to do Zumba for 60 minutes today. I encouraged women to keep trying and do their best and love their bodies. My hair was the last thing on my mind. 

And shouldn't it be like that? Lifting others up while also lifting up ourselves, regardless of what brand we are wearing or where we get our hair done? (Related: I love shopping Target "boutique")

It's okay to be proud of yourself and take pride in your appearance and your HEALTH (I will not say be proud of your body, since I think you shouldn't be proud of what it looks like so much as what it can do for you, the benefit is that it also LOOKS healthy) and it's okay to want to look nice. I enjoy looking nice. I can understand why people want to look nice. I APPRECIATE people who look nice. 

But look "your" nice instead of the version seen in media. Even more importantly, ACT nice, because it certainly reflects outwardly.

The issues that I have with myself will never go away. I have resigned myself to the fact that I will always have a pointy nose. The older I get, however, the more comfortable I am with myself. As I start to get gray hair I realize the more important things are how I spend my day and how I make other's feel. It's a very beautiful feeling to make someone else feel beautiful. 

Make someone feel beautiful, even if it's just yourself. Accept yourself. And hey, accept your neighbor. They are their own kind of beautiful, also. 

I can't THINK YOU'RE ANY MORE WONDERFUL right now,

Sara <3

No comments:

Post a Comment