Monday, June 17, 2013

My dad is kinda cool

I type this from an airplane on my way home...via Pittsburgh Airport. I can safely say not many people travel TO Pittsburgh. My flight is pretty sparse and I get a window seat and the empty seat next to me. I'm so spoiled. 

I'm flying home on Father's Day so maybe that is why I have noticed all the fathers in the airport and on my flight. There was a father sitting next to me and his family was across the aisle. He wanted a window seat and decided to move to an empty seat. I asked his wife if she thought her husband would like to switch seats so he can still be by them and she said that he would probably prefer to be away from the kids and she will let him this time because it's Father's Day. 

I politely laughed but I thought to myself...Shouldn't he want to be by his family on Father's Day? Is that not the purpose? Since when did these type of holidays mean that you get time away from the people you love and the reason you are able to celebrate? 

My father has a giant heart and his best times seem to be when he is around his family. I actually see him THRIVE in settings where he is around the people he loves the most. He would never think to not spend time with us on this day. 

As part of the daily festivities, there will be dinner at my parents' house followed by dessert at my uncle's house, where we will celebrate all the dads in my family. As annoying as they can all be sometimes (Yes, dad, I got my oil changed...thanks for the reminders EVERY time I talk to you), I am supremely proud of every many in my life. Through their faults and their strengths, they have taught me some of my most important life lessons. With some of the types of men out there, I am reminded regularly of how fortunate I am.  

On this day, its easy to remember why we love our dads. Let's try to always remind them, because as we get older so do they. And today, tomorrow, months from now, remember this and the reasons we love them...and let them know. 

I can't WAIT TO SPEND TIME WITH MY DAD right now,
Sara <3

No comments:

Post a Comment